Saturday, May 13, 2023

Nature, Culture, Public Space Curator Caryl Henry Alexander

2023 Summer Solstice Oasis in The Woods:
An Art & Wellness Festival
Friday, June 16, 2023, 6-9 pm
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oasis-in-the-woods-an-arts-wellness-festival-tickets-638393942467

"2023 Summer Solstice: The Land" is a living creative, and cultural experiment with sustainable practice at its center. It incubates the artist's and community's personal and collective transformation.

For one week, June 12-16, 2023, artists of diverse disciplines and ages will converge at Juniper's Garden for a week-long residency. Their collective goal is to build generational bridges while working with ideas and materials that emanate from the land to create installations that answer the question, "How we will rebuild our communities to be stronger and recreate sustainable places to live." Importantly, this conversation addresses environmental justice's physical and psychological dimensions and impact. The residency will occur in Maryland's Prince George's County, the Southernmost region, and its remaining rural tier.

On Friday, June 16, 2023, 6-9 pm, as part of the 2023 Summer Solstice Oasis in The Woods: An Art & Wellness Festival at Juniper's Garden, the artists will host an open house where they will be present to offer free and open to the public gallery walks. In addition, they will be contributing stories of their experiences with the South County ecosystem and the process by which their installations came together.

Curator/ Environmental Installation:

For more information, artists that wish to participate.

Caryl Henry Alexander, carylhenryalexander@gmail.com  https://www.carylhenryalexander.com/

For more than 40 years, Caryl Henry Alexander's work has harnessed the power of creative collaboration with multi-generational, multicultural, and interfaith communities to conceive, design, and implement community art projects in diverse public settings around the globe. In the studio, Caryl's work includes painting, printmaking, papermaking, textiles, installations, and sculpture. Her media are traditional and experimental, often incorporating recycled or found objects and natural plant materials. Out in the community, she combines her roles as a visual artist, teaching artist, curator, researcher, lecturer, writer, and social activist to support communities in clarifying their shared goals and turning their ideas into action. Her long-term focus is on culture, environment, and nature. She has exhibited throughout the US and abroad. Her media are traditional and experimental, often incorporating recycled or found objects and natural plant materials.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE PHANTOM GALLERY CHICAGO

WOMEN ARTISTS OF THE AMERICAN WEST - FEATURED CARYL HENRY

2001 Nature, Culture, Public Space-- 

 "My life as an artist comprises several activities reflected in my artworks. I work as a studio artist, a community and public artist, and an educator.

For me, art is medicined: it brings me in close touch with the life force at the center of my being. It reflects where I am and how I can travel through the world at this time in history. This search for self and connection with community speaks to all present in our post-modern culture. I often look for places where I can feel a solid connection to nature.

Travel figures prominently in my process, as it is often through collaboration with other artists that I can see my own truth. Toward this end, I have traveled to France, Cuba, Mexico, and most recently to Nigeria, West Africa, to share ideas and processes with artists and to exhibit my work.

I was trained as a printmaker and have, throughout my career, worked in sculpture, painting, mixed media, installation, and public art. 

My current concerns are fully integrating my African experiences and processing a more robust vision of who I am as an African American into my art. This is taking the form of studio paintings, prints, and sculptures. Also, I am working to bring my images and vision out of the traditional gallery environment and into the public arena through site-specific public artworks. 



No comments: